Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Singlehood and Home Ownership - What a Journey!

 
OK...... OK OK OK OK OK OK OK .... OK.

I get it now.  I understand it.  I comprehend.  It makes sense.  I see the light. 

I realize just how money-syphoning, cash-strappingly wonderful, owning a home by one's self can really affect one's finances.

I thought it was problematic when I had to rip up the basement apartment floor 4 months after purchasing my house, due to the ineptitude of the "do-it-yourself-er" who "fixed" my place up to make it look more appealing.  I thought that was the end of my troubles (for the near-future, anyway).

Oh, the naivety of first-time home-ownership!

I have since discovered that my attic is a mess; again, caused by the same inept "do-it-yourself-er" numpty who worked on my basement apartment floor... and today I am having a company re-spray insulation (up to R-70); re-install roofing vents; re-install soffit; and-re-do other stuff as well.

Yes, this attic stuff is occurring today.  And during this process, I have just learned that, alas, the uber-inept numpty who totally messed up basement flooring, and who messed up attic insulation soffit (but did a great job painting all my walls white, by the by), has also done a bang-up-horrible job on my basement ceiling.  Absolutely atrocious.  A blatant misuse of whatever talents he thinks he may have.

Yes, now my basement ceiling must all come down.... but on the plus side, a drywall ceiling will be installed in its place, which meets fire code specs, etc.  Hooray.  Great stuff.

So anyway... being single, having one income, having just come off short-term disability from my last surgery, having 5 surgeries in the past 3 years (and thus adding up all the lost income due to time off work), and having just bought a house that--upon my home-inspector's approval that "it passed the snuff test"--is costing me more money than I have ever had in my bank account.... it is a lot to take in all at once (especially since I have basically discovered all this within the past month or so).

This is where instead of throwing my hands up in despair, I choose to trust that God will see me though this, and will provide the resources and help to move forward with the home repairs.  Although I am venting (obviously) I am not fretting.  Although I am seething just a bit (at the home inspector and numpty do-it-yourself-er), I am not worried.  Things will work out.  And even if they don't, or even if they work out in a way that is not the way I would like, I have a full eternity of fantasticness to make up for the few years of trial here on this earth.


3 comments:

  1. Well my dear friend please make sure you run the wires for your speakers upstairs while they have your ceiling torn down! Also may want to consider running that exast fan over the stove while the ceiling is down! Lol

    God have his sovereign hand in all of this I am certain of that! Just not so certain as to what is next on the go wrong in you house list! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riiigggghhhhtttttt!!!!!!! Speaker Wires! Was also thinking of inserting sound-proofing insulation between floors too... so might as well do speaker wires too. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete