Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A post on sleep (or lack thereof) and controlling dreams....




















Anyone else here a light sleeper?  Yeah.  I am one.  A small creak in the floor, a plane/helicopter flying overhead outside, a whisper of a small word, a raccoon climbing along the fence.... a rhinoceros tip-towing outside my window, and I am bolt-upright awake, ripped out of whatever dream I was in.  And as I unsuccessfully try to re-enter this now fading fantastic dream, my mind wanders back to the fact that I am an unfortunate light sleeper who will need to bulk up on free workplace coffee come the morn.

But speaking of dreams, do you know what one thing I can do in my dream that I wish I could do all the time?  I can rewind my dream if I don't like the way it is going, or if I do not like the choice I have made.  Yup.  While dreaming, I just consciously say, "No sir, I don't like it", and away my dream rewinds back to the point where I can make a new decision.  Sometimes the choice revolves around beating up a monster (instead of being beaten up), or deciding whether to fly or not... the dreams vary.

And no, I never trained myself to do this... it just happens every once and a while, when I would rather perform another action in my dream. (such as using my bike to jump over a lake, rather than in it).

Anyway.... back to my lack of sleep woes... I envy all those people who can fall asleep at the drop of a hat (or pillow), those who can sleep through anything.  Oh, to have that blissful sleep, and wake up feeling rigorously refreshed, instead of waking up counting the number of times I should not have woken up.

To sleep, to dream, to rest, to silently slumber.

Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment